Tuesday, June 7, 2016

Hiroko Tokumine - Lolita wedding dresses


What an exciting story I have for you all today!

While browsing Facebook recently, I had the pleasure of stumbling across Hiroko Tokumine, a designer of lolita style wedding dresses! Can you believe it?? Of course, I fell in love instantly and proceeded to visit her website and dream of all the dress coordinates I could make.

I've been a fan of wedding dresses for quite a few years but I've always found that many wedding dress designs lack a certain 'something' that makes them stand out from the rest of the designs out there. Likewise I've found it difficult to find dresses with giant full skirts which start at the natural waist. (Most of them are low waisted for some reason)

Hiroko Tokumine's designs however hit all the marks for me, they're cute, elegant, beautiful and so very lolita style!

© Hiroko Tokumine


All of the pieces in her catalog are mix and match and a lot of them are top and bottom separates, so you don't have to worry about liking one half but not the other! After watching many episodes of "Say Yes to the Dress" I can honestly say that this is a godsend.

The dresses and accessories are made from 100% silk and everything is hand sewn by her including the embellishments. So not only are they very luxurious but are also very comfortable to wear!

After drooling after these dresses for a couple of months, I finally decided to search to see if she had an instagram account in the hopes of seeing more pictures of her designs but what happened next was completely unexpected.

I followed her account and within a few minutes, she had followed me back. "Awesome!!" I thought but then within the next half an hour to follow, I received a message from her. She thanked me for following her and asked me if I would be interested in being a monitor for her. (In Japan, a monitor is essentially the same as a reviewer)

© Hiroko Tokumine
I couldn't believe my eyes, I was so excited! Of course I agreed straight away and we set up a date and time to meet. Yesterday was that day and it was one of the most pleasant experiences I've ever had, plus it was a ton of fun! Since I'm not fluent in Japanese I asked if my fiance could come with me to translate, Hiroko said that he is most welcome and also that she had a mens suit she would like him to wear if he would like to be involved. (Which he agreed to enthusiastically)

Yesterday we traveled to her atelier in Kinshicho, Hiroko's sister came to greet us at the train station and take us to the studio. Luckily she spoke English so we had a lot of fun chatting on the way there! She told me that Hiroko had a small brand before she started doing bridal wear and showed me one of her dresses.

Once we arrived at the atelier, I met Hiroko Tokumine herself who is the very definition of a lolita. Sweet, soft spoken and very polite, she invited us in and we sat in a room surrounded by her designs. She allowed me to chose which pieces I wanted to wear which was a dream come true! I had already decided before I arrived exactly the look I wanted to have; cute, fairytale princess.

© Hiroko Tokumine
After all the pieces were selected we traveled by train to a studio closer to the location of the photoshoot, I got changed and we walked over to the park.

Considering the fact that it's Summer in Japan the dress was extremely comfortable to wear and I didn't feel hot at all which is a miracle because I tend to overheat very easily. I owe this to the fact that the dress is silk which means that the fabric can breathe compared to man made fabrics.

The dress was also incredibly well constructed, I don't think I've seen anything constructed better than this before except maybe on exhibit in museums. I know I've definitely never worn anything this amazing and impressive before!

© Hiroko Tokumine

It was a little embarrassing to walk to the park since so many people were looking at me and I had two people holding up the dress behind me. (;^_^) However once we arrived it was really lovely, there were so many flowers in this park and many people were walking their dogs!

Hiroko's sister took the photos, she's an amazing photographer~

We also had people congratulating us, which was cute and a bit funny since we weren't actually getting married, but it was like we were having a mock wedding since we recently got engaged so I guess I can see why it was confusing. (♡´艸`)

© Hiroko Tokumine
Hiroko Tokumine just started doing bridal at the start of this year, her store is still in the very early stages but already she's doing amazingly well!

She wants to spread her bridal wear all around the world and is very excited about foreign lolitas wearing her designs. However since she is just starting out she needs a lot of help to spread information about her presence!

I'd like to encourage you all to share this post on facebook, blogs, twitter, etc. so that many more people can know about her amazing designs~

As well, please follow her on social media! She speaks some English and is very friendly so she will be happy to hear from you.


© Hiroko Tokumine
I've rambled on enough so please enjoy the rest of these photos as well as some of my favorite pictures from Hiroko Tokumine's website. She has many more amazing designs on her website so please go and check it out!


© Hiroko Tokumine
© Hiroko Tokumine
© Hiroko Tokumine
© Hiroko Tokumine

© Hiroko Tokumine

4 comments:

  1. The dresses are lovely and Natalie looks beautiful in this dress. I would say, "yes to this dress!" Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. These dresses look utterly gorgeous, I'd love to have something by her one day!

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a great opportunity and you two look so adorable! Thanks so much for sharing! Lolita wedding dresses is a niche that definitely needed to be filled.

    ReplyDelete